Life As An Indie Pool Intern
Intern. We’ve all heard the term and the majority of us have been one before, but what it’s like to be an intern at Indie Pool is an experience like no other. Either you’re reading this because you’re as curious as I was about applying for an internship at Indie Pool, or you’ve been an intern here before and you’re looking for something to nod your head at and relate to. If you’re as determined as I was to get this internship, you’re already half way there. However, I’m not here to give you a step by step guide on how to become the best intern possible. That’s left for you to discover. Everyone’s experience as an Intern here is different, but there are a couple things that are definite.
1) You will get a chance to meet with the President of the company, and you WILL have an hour long (or longer) conversation about your life and where you’re heading. His advice is insanely helpful and all the interns here agree that he is so intuitive to his staff and their psyche. During a majority of internships, not many bosses (or Presidents for that matter) take the time to really get to know you and what your goals are. Usually when you hear intern stories they’ve never seen the face of the person who hired them. That couldn’t be further from the truth here at Indie Pool. You almost see too much of Gregg. Just kidding Gregg, we all love you.
2) You’re in a completely creative environment so take advantage of what is in front of you. Each person here has different personality traits and attributes that influence the vibe here. Erase any previous perceptions that you’ve obtained in regards to a typical work office because the atmosphere at Indie Pool is like no other. It is an open concept office, so when you’re speaking to a client everyone is aware of your awkward “phone voice”, we just won’t say anything… or maybe we will. Be sure to immerse yourself in what everyone is up to and how you can help them; you’ll learn more. Don’t be shy to be yourself and talk to people at Indie Pool; they’re all friendly unless they haven’t had their morning coffee. There’s always something to talk about, even if you’re waiting in line for the bathroom with Trevor. Whether you’re looking to kick start that creative nerve in your mind, or keep it active, Indie Pool is the place to do so. Make the most of your internship; what you put into it is what you will get out of it.
3) At least one of your music requests will be ‘veto-ed’. Now, you won’t fully understand this until you’ve been there and done that. To sum it up, music is played aloud during the day here. Every morning a playlist is made and album requests are taken. If you dare to put in a request, be aware of what kind of position you’re putting yourself in; you may be judged by your music selection. If you’re brave enough, go ahead and request that Justin Bieber album that you secretly listen to, Lindsay always approves; guilty.
4) You will meet an array of people that are all cool and unique in their own way. No one is programmed to think and act a certain way here. Everyone is completely and utterly 100% themselves which leads to conversations that you may have never had otherwise. From the interns to the employees, each person has their own stories and, trust me, you’re going to want to listen to them. Who knows, you may even end up doing a shot of vinegar just to prove to Jordanthat you DO like the taste of it; guilty again.
5) You will be assigned to your own Artist Rep and you’ll work with them for the duration of your internship. This is where the whole, don’t be shy factor comes into play. You’ll be working closely with your Artist Rep so get to know them! You’ll have the opportunity to research new bands for them and follow up with clients, unless the database is giving you a hard time. All that’s required then is a shout to Vik the IT guy.
6) You will discover some awesome new indie bands or artists while making CD’s for Mike or working on song categorization for ZJ. We all love that energized feeling when you’ve heard a new tune and it’s come from a band or artist that you’ve never heard of before. There’s a ton of opportunities here to discover new talent that you will immediately fall in love with. Absorb what you’re listening to and feel free to jot a couple of artists’ names down.
So there you have it. Six things you can count on at Indie Pool. I have had a fantastic experience as an intern here. It was a side of the business I had not been exposed to and I certainly learned a lot. If you give it your all, you will too. Not only will you take away additional experience and knowledge, you will also be working among an extraordinary group of individuals with a great sense of humour. Don’t be surprised if someone in the office digs up an old video of you and displays it on the giant projector screen for all to see; guilty AGAIN.
So go ahead and hit that APPLY button. You know you want to.
EXTRA NOTE: Because some of us here at Indie Pool (Lindsay) are huge jerks, here’s that old video Tiana mentioned in her last paragraph.